While exploring several sources, the following excerpts were very interesting and I thought they represented either Ian MacKaye's accidental cultural movement and/or the Critical/Cultural Studies field in particular.

1. "Ian MacKaye: Steady Diet Of Nothing." TrakMARX. Web. 14 Dec. 2010. <www.trakmarx.com...>.

Interview taken from
Myers, Ben. American Heretics: Rebel Voices in Music. Hove: Codex, 2002. Print.

"I’m not a futurist. I don’t think anybody has any fucking clue what’s going to happen in the future so I never wondered about what I was going to do. All I have ever really wanted to do is live in the present moment. This doesn’t mean that I live entirely for the moment, but rather just make sure that I’m doing the right thing for the time. My theory is that the future is a point just around the corner, yet you never quite get to see it and therefore you can never bank on it or against it. But what you do have control over is the vehicle which you are riding in and you should take care of that vehicle so that maybe one day you can get around that corner and meet that future."

"...we were dissatisfied and not at peace with life and that things might change if we yelled at them enough and kicked up a stink. If that was my belief it seemed that it would be absurd to not actually be happy because you have to practice what you preach. You can’t say that you want change and then not even attempt to have it in your own life"

2. Glenn, Phillip J. Laughter in Interaction. New York: Cambridge UP, 2003. 50-51. Print.

"...conversational laughter is controllable and finely coordinated to surrounding activities. It also suggests that speech may take some kind of precedence over laughter in terms of turn-taking distribution - that ongoing laughter will give way to talk but that ongoing talk will not give way to incipient laughter...The longer laughter competes in overlap with additional talk, the more difficult it may be for participants to recognize which talk (preceding or in-progress) the laughter indexes."

"Furthermore, the laughter does not necessarily 'lose control' or otherwise appear at a turn-taking disadvantage. Rather, laughter appears orderly, and its placement is finely coordinated with surrounding talk and with other laughter.
This may not hold in an environment strongly dominated by playfulness, where attempts to resume speech may lose out."

In his book, Phillip Glenn examines the impact and purpose of something as simple as laughter has in conversation and other interpersonal encounters. This speaks to the "everyday life" portion of the Critical/Cultural Studies field. He takes a subject that is very seldom thought about and analyzes what others experience every day but pay little attention to.