Smile

I have discovered my wide image is a smile. I noticed that several aspects of my mystory involve lighthearted, goofy, and happy topics and very few deal with something serious. That's just the kind of person I am. I've spent my entire life making jokes or witty, snarky comments and surrounding myself with people who like to do the same. However, even though I am constantly looking for the funny side of a heavy situation, I know when trying to make a joke isn't appropriate and would create an awkward situation. This was even the topic of the essay I wrote on my Emerson application.

I have always felt this way, for as long as I can remember but I believe the late George Carlin said it best in his Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics when he said:

I believe you can joke about anything. It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is. What the exaggeration is. Because every joke needs one exaggeration. Every joke needs one thing to be way out of proportion.

This first time I heard Carlin explain this, it was like an ephiphany. One of the smartest comedians ever expressed an opinion that I had always held but had never heard expressed so eloquently and in such a manner that I agreed with so wholeheartedly. Although I never got the chance to see George Carlin live before he died, and I'm very disappointed about this, his words will always stay with me. You can't take life too seriously because you'll lose your mind.

You have to try to laugh at everything you can and if you can't laugh at something aloud, think of some way to do so in your head that other people might not agree with, smile to yourself and don't worry that you'll look weird for smiling at nothing.