MURDER IN PERFORMANCE: a six week curriculum unit I designed for an advanced high school theatre class.

Brief Summary of Unit:

This unit will explore the theme of murder in performance from a variety of perspectives. We will begin the unit by looking at the folklore of murder, radio suspense dramas, and classic murder mystery plays, as well as poems.  Using real life case studies of contemporary murders and theatrical case studies from a variety of plays, we will examine the personal and societal reasons people are driven to murder and the devastating consequences of this crime.

MurderinPerformanceCurriculum.pdf

REBELS WITHOUT A CUE: DEFYING AUTHORITY IN JAPANESE KYOGEN THEATRE - a unit I designed to teach middle school students about Kyogen, traditional Japanese comic theatre.

Brief Summary of Unit:

Students will study traditional Japanese comic theatre, often featuring plots with servants and masters.  Exploring the power dynamics inherent in this relationship, students will adapt and perform an original Kyogen script.

KyogenMiddleSchoolLesson.pdf

TO SEE AND BE SEEN: AN INTRODUCTION TO RESTORATION THEATRE: a one-two week unit I designed to teach high school students about Restoration theatre.

Brief Summary of Unit:

This unit briefly explores the history of Restoration England and its impact on the theatre.  Students explore Restoration playwrights and conventions of the time, and create a text/movement piece underscored with music by Restoration composers.

RestorationDramaLessonPlan.pdf

SHAKESPEARE WORKSHOP: a lesson I designed for high school students to explore text, images and movement while developing characters in Macbeth.

ShakespeareLesson.pdf