When we enter human life, it is as if we walk onstage into a play whose enactment is already in progress – a play whose somewhat open plot determines what parts we may play and toward what denouements we may be heading. Others on stage already have a sense of what the play is about, enough of a sense to make negotiation with a newcomer possible. – Herbert Clark

In the play, As You Like It, Shakespeare writes, “All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.” Personally, I have a problem with his use of the word “merely”. If we are all players on the world stage then we have the power to change or mold it. We aren’t “merely” there; we are the tools that shape it! Teachers are the, “others on stage already”, that Herbert Clark speaks of. We are the players, with some knowledge of the play in progress, ready to negotiate with the newcomer.

To me, the negotiation Clark mentions is not an authoritative lesson a teacher must impart to a student but rather a mutual act of teaching and learning. When I teach I also learn. I always have a plan when I go into the classroom but I also always find my plans being shaped by whatever my students have to teach me that day. My students have taught me many things, not the least of which is the importance of reaching out to multiple intelligences and frames of mind. Over the past 10 years I have taught students of varying ages, ethnicities, backgrounds and native languages. I feel that the lessons I learn from them are far more rewarding than I could ever hope to impart. That is not to say, however, that I don’t have a few tricks up my sleeve.

I go into the classroom with lessons prepared to meet the multiple intelligences head on. I try to incorporate as many of the intelligences as I can into one lesson. If I find myself needing to lecture one day I will make my next lesson more kinesthetic. If I have offered a visual presentation I will allow students the opportunity to explore it with music or speech. Most importantly I challenge my students to try. When students are in the classroom they have the safety of a controlled environment within which they may take a risk; the risk to explore infinite possibilities.

I also show my students that I care about them individually. I make a concerted effort to learn everyone’s name and address each student at least once every class period. If a student seems disengaged I ask for their thoughts on the current activity. If another student is constantly raising their hand I acknowledge what they have to say and then ask that they allow others to participate. I challenge my students to participate as much as possible. In fact, I make it a sizeable part of their grade. Further, I consistently offer them the opportunity to ask for help either in class or in my office. Every student is made aware of my contact information and knows that they can always come to see me if they have questions or concerns.

In terms of class room management I look to the teachings of Paulo Freire. Freire writes, “…education always requires an educator’s presence. There is a radical difference, though, between being present and being the presence itself”. My classroom is a world of collaboration. From the moment the student steps into my room they become part of an ensemble; an ensemble that must work together, cooperatively, to achieve the best outcome possible. I am always present in the classroom and offer guidance when necessary but I also challenge my students to complete both individual and group tasks on their own. But even if they are working on an individual task, the class or group acts as their support system.

Additionally, I am a big advocate of peer evaluation. I ask my students to offer constructive criticism to their fellow students. After scenes, monologues or oral presentations we discuss the performance as a class. What worked? What didn’t? Why? If a student has a question about something they are working on I ask the class to share their opinions in a constructive way. Not only am I learning from them but I am challenging them to learn from each other. I strive for excellence in my classroom but accept that not everyone is going to succeed 100% of the time. I offer a nurturing atmosphere where there will always be someone there to catch a student if they fall. More often than not there are several people to cushion said fall. I encourage my students to respect each other and care for those they work with.

Ultimately, I work to be the best guide possible as my students negotiate the world on their terms.