Summary: According to the chapter, American's volunteer more than other citizens in other countries, which is reflected in active groups that play important roles in all aspects of American life. Thousands of groups including social groups, community based organizations, church based, and public interest groups, contribute to the emerging mass of volunteers that are playing active roles in promoting change. At the beginning of the chapter, a "participation revolution" is mentioned that has grown according to recent studies since the 1960s. However, although groups are flourishing with members, many lack actual volunteers and just show increasing publicity through mailing lists, websites and newsletters. Instead, mass-membership organizations are growing and American's are failing to play their own individual role in helping society. In the last decade other groups such as environmental organizations have grown as well reflecting some of the change that many want to promote, to protect the environment. Many of the organizations have data that shows unstable curves rather than a steady increase in numbers. Now more than ever, people need to get more involved. However, it is becoming more and more difficult get involved when people can't even keep their own jobs due to the financial crisis. 

Exploratory Writing: This piece made me think about how I should be more involved in my community. I'd really like to become more involved in volunteering because there are many causes that could use an extra set f hands. For instance, Habitat for Humanity and other organizations host Alternative Spring Break in areas of our country that need to be rebuilt to do disasters that have caused destruction and many times deaths among the masses. I plan to challenge myself at some point and use one of my beaks to dedicate tim to rebuild communities around America. I also plan on helping locally around Boston to get more involved with the community. If I do this I'll feel better about promoting change and doing something kind for those around me.